You are here
Dr. Bala Rathinasabapathi
|Office:||2247 Fifield Hall|
|For list of publications, project descriptions and press releases, visit Dr. Saba's website.|
Areas of Research
- Metabolic engineering for stress tolerance
- Arsenic hyperaccumulation in ferns
- Stress physiology in biofuel algae
- Capsicum breeding and genetics
- Ph.D. (1990) in Biology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
- M.Sc. (1985) in Genetics, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi, India
- B.Sc. (1983) in Agriculture, Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu, India
- VEC 2100 – World Herbs and Vegetables
- VEC 3221C – Commercial Vegetable Production
- VEC 4905 – Independent Study
- HOS 1014 – Vegetable Gardening
- HOS 5242 and HOS 4932 - Genetics and Breeding of Vegetables
- HOS 5711 – Phytochemicals in Food and Health (alternate years)
- BOT 6935 – Plant Biochemistry (team taught)
Work and International Experiences
- Post-doctoral research at the MSU-DOE Plant Research Lab, Michigan State University, East Lansing and IRBV, University of Montreal, Montreal.
- As one of the two advisors for Gator Citrus Club, travelled to study horticultural industries in Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Spain and Puerto Rico.
Honors and Awards
- Elected to Gamma Sigma Delta, University of Florida (2002)
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year, Environ. Horticulture Club, Univ. of Florida (1997-98)
- Associate editor, BMC Microbiology and the Journal of Botany
- Member, American Society of Horticultural Science
- Member, American Society of Plant Biology
- Aparna Krishnamurthy, Ph.D. (Graduated in Aug 2014)
- Elton Goncalves, Ph.D. (Graduated in Aug 2015)
- Newton Kilasi, Ph.D. (Graduated in Dec 2016)
- Saul Sotomayor, M.S. (Graduated Aug 2015)
- Qingyuan Xiang, Ph.D. student
- David Friedman Ph.D. student
- Shazia Arif (Visiting graduate student, Spring 2014)
- Sana Tesheen (Visiting graduate student, Summer 2014)
- Manal El-Zohri Ph.D. (Visiting scholar, Spring-Summer 2014)
- Maria Luiza Grigio (Visiting graduate student, 2015-16)
- Building Better Peppers Program (current or recent undergraduates):
- Isabel Branstrom (Fall 2013)
- Mackenzie DeNew (2015-16)
- Dylan Kovach (2016-17)
- Christopher Imler (2017)
- Nicholas Eagel, Mitchell Clifton, Sasha Camenkar and Briana Aguila (Summer 2013)
- Katrina Benzrihem and Denee Salazar (Spring 2013)
- Lessl, J.T., Ma, L.Q., Rathinasabapathi, B, Guy C (2013) A novel phytase from Pteris vittata resistant to arsenate, high temperature, and soil inactivation. Environ Sci and Technol 47: 2204-2211.
- Goncalves E.C., Wilkie A.C., Kirst M., Rathinasabapathi B (2016) Metabolic regulation of triacylglycerol accumulation in the green algae: idenetification of potential targets for engineering to improve oil yield. Plant Biotechnology Journal 14: 1649-1660.
- Goncalves E.C., Koh, J., Zhu N, Yoo M.J., Chen S, Matsuo T, Johnson J.V., Rathinasabapathi B (2016) Nitrogen starvation-induced accumulation of triacylglycerol in the green algae: Evidence for a role for ROC40, a transcription factor involved in circadian rhythm. Plant Journal 85: 743-757.
- Goncalves, E.C., Johnson, J.V., Rathinasabapathi B (2013) Conversion of membrane lipid acyl groups to triacylglycerol and formation of lipid bodies upon nitrogen starvation in biofuel green algae Chlorella UTEX29. Planta 238: 895-906.
- Wang, X., Rathinasabapathi, B., De Oliveira, L.M., Guilherme, L.R., Ma, LQ (2012) Bacteria-mediated arsenic oxidation and reduction in the growth media of arsenic hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Environ. Sci. Technol. 46: 11259-11266.
- Rathinasabapathi, B. (2012) Functional genomics of drought tolerance in crops: Engineering transcriptional regulators and pathways. In: ‘Improving Crop Resistance to Abiotic Stress” Edited by N. Tuteja, A.F. Tiburcio, S. S. Gill and R. Tuteja, Wiley-Blackwell, Wiley-VCH Verlag, pp. 243-253.
- Wang, X., Ma, L.Q., Rathinasabapathi, B., Cai Y., Liu, Y.G., Zeng, G.M. (2011) Mechanisms of efficient arsenite uptake by arsenic-hyperaccumulator Pteris vittata. Environmental Science and Technology 45:9719-9725.
- Ghosh, P., Rathinasabapathi, B., and Ma, L.Q. (2011) Arsenic-resistant bacteria enhanced arsenic solubilization and promoted the growth of arsenic hyperaccumulator Pteris vittataL. Bioresource Technology 102:8756-8761.
- Sundaram, S., Rathinasabapathi B (2010) Transgenic expression of fern Pteris vittata glutaredoxin PvGrx5 in Arabidopsis thaliana increases plant tolerance to high temperature stress and reduces oxidative damage to proteins. Planta 231: 361-369.