You are here
Dr. Donald J. Huber
|Office:||1213 Fifield Hall|
Areas of Research
- Role of ethylene in fruit ripening and softening
- Chilling injury in postharvest storage
- Membrane catabolism during senescence
- Role of reactive oxygen species in postharvest disorders
- Ph.D., Iowa State University
- M.S., Miami University
- B.S., Miami University
Work and International Experience
- I have worked closely with academic and government researchers in China, Korea, and Japan.
- I have hosted a number of visiting scientists and graduate students from institutions in these countries.
- Sabbatical work in Japan.
- Zhang, Z., Huber, D. J., Qu, H., Yun, Z., Wang, H., Huang, Z., Duan, X., Jiang, Y., 2015. Enzymatic browning and antioxidant activities in harvested litchi fruit as influenced by apple polyphenols. Food Chemistry 171, 191-199.
- Lee, J., Hurr, B.M., Huber, D.J., Vallejos, C.E., Sargent, S.A., 2015. Characterization of proteases and nucleases associated with ethylene-induced programmed cell death in immature cucumber fruit. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 110, 190-196.
- Osuna-Garcia, J.A., Brecht, J.K., Huber, D.J., Nolasco-Gonzalez, Y., 2015. Aqueous 1-methylcyclopropene to delay ripening of ‘Kent’ mango fruit after quarantine hot water treatment. HortTechnology 25, 349-357.
- Pereira, M.C.E., Sargent, S.A., Huber, D.J., 2015. Delayed and prolonged ethylene treatment alleviates firmness asynchrony enhanced by 1-methylcyclopropene exposure in Guatemalan-West Indian avocado. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 108, 54-60.
- Berry, A.D., Sargent, S.A., Pereira*, M.E.C., Huber, D.J., 2015. Postharvest ripening and quality of Guatemalan-West Indian avocado hybrids under simulated commercial shipping temperatures following treatment with aqueous 1-methylcyclopropene. HortTechnology 25, 85 – 89.
- Guan, W., Zhao, X., Huber, D.J., Sims, C.A., 2015. Instrumental and sensory analyses of quality attributes of grafted specialty melons. J. Sci. Food Agric. 95, 2989-2995.
- Dong, X., Huber, D.J., Rao, J., Lee, J.H., 2014. Rapid ingress of gaseous 1-MCP and acute suppression of ripening following short-term application to mid-climacteric tomato under hypobaria. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 86, 285-290.
- Dong, X., Huber, D.J., Ramírez-Sánchez, M., Rao, J., Lee, J., Watkins, C.B., 2014. Cultivar differences in gaseous 1-methylcyclopropene accumulation in whole and fresh-cut apple fruit. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 93, 130-134.
- Ma, Q., Suo, J., Huber, D.J., Dong, X., Zhang, Z., Han, Y., Rao, J., 2014. Effect of hot water pretreatments on chilling injury and the expression of a new C-repeat binding factor (CBF) in ‘Hongyang’ kiwifruit during low-temperature storage. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 97, 102-110.
- Hu, M., Yang, D., Huber, D.J., Li, M., Gao, Z., Jiang, Y., Zhang, Z., 2014. Reduction of postharvest anthracnose and enhancement of disease resistance in ripening mango fruit by nitric oxide treatment. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 97, 115-122.
- Pereira, M.C.E., Sargent, S.A., Sims, C.A., Huber, D.J., Crane, J.H., Brecht, J.K., 2014. Ripening and sensory analysis of Guatemalan-West Indian hybrid avocado following ethylene pretreatment and/or exposure to gaseous or aqueous 1-methylcyclopropene. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 92, 121-127.
- Pereira, M.C.E., Tieman, D.M., Sargent, S.A., Klee, H.J., Huber, D.J., 2013. Volatile profiles of ripening West Indian and Guatemalan-West Indian avocado cultivars as affected by aqueous 1-methylcyclopropene. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 80, 37-46.
- Dong, X., Ramírez-Sánchez, M., Huber, D.J., Rao, J., Zhang, Z., Choi, S.T., Lee, J.H., 2013.Diffusivity of 1-methylcyclopropene in spinach and bok choi leaf tissue, disks of tomato and avocado fruit tissue, and whole tomato fruit. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 78, 40-47.
- Zhu, Q., Zhang, Z., Rao, J., Huber, D.J., Lu, J., Hou, Y., Song, K., 2013. Identification of xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase genes (XTHs) and their expression in persimmon fruit as influenced by 1-methylcyclopropene and gibberellic acid during storage at ambient temperature. Food Chem., 138, 471-477.
- Zhang, Z., Huber, D. J., Rao, J., 2013. Antioxidant systems of ripening avocado (Persea americana Mill.) fruit following treatment at preclimacteric stage with aqueous 1-methylcyclopropene. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 76, 58-64.
- Hurr, B., Huber, D.J., Vallejos, Lee, E., Sargent, S.A., 2013. Ethylene-induced overproduction of reactive oxygen species is responsible for the development of watersoaking in immature cucumber fruit. J. Plant Physiol. 170, 56-62.
- Lee, J.S., Huber, D.J., Watkins, C.B., Hurr, B., 2012. Influence of wounding and aging on 1-MCP sorption and metabolism in fresh-cut tissue and cell-free homogenates from apple fruit. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 67, 52-58.
- Kamiyoshihara, Y., Tieman, D.M., Huber, D.J., Klee, H.J., 2012. Ligand-induced alterations in the phosphorylation state of ethylene receptors in tomato fruit. Plant Physiol. 160, 488-497.
- Dong, X., Rao, J., Huber, D.J., Chang, X., Xin, F., 2012. Wax composition of ‘Red Fuji’ apple fruit during development and during storage after 1-methylcyclopropene treatment. Hortic., Env. Biotechnol. 53, 288-297.
- Kao, M-W., S., Brecht, J.K., Williamson, J.G., Huber, D.J., 2012. Ripening development and quality of melting and non-melting flesh peach varieties. HortScience 47, 879-885.
- Hwang, Y.S., Min, J.H., Kim, D.Y., Kim, J.G., Huber, D.J., 2012. Potential mechanisms associated with strawberry fruit firmness increases mediated by elevated pCO2. Hort. Environ. Biotechnol. 53, 52-59.
- Zhang, Z., Fu, R., Huber, D.J., Rao, J., Chang, X., Jiang, N., Zhang, Y., Hu, M., 2012. Expression of expansin gene (CDK-Exp3) and its modulation by exogenous gibberellic acid-3 during softening of ripening persimmon fruit. HortScience 47, 378-381.
- Almeida, D.P.F., Huber, D.J., 2011. Autolysis of cell walls from polygalacturonase-antisense tomato fruit in simulated apoplastic solutions. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 49, 617-622.
- Zhang, Z., Huber, D. J., Rao, J., 2011. Ripening delay of mid-climacteric avocado fruit in response to elevated doses of 1-methylcyclopropene and reduction in internal ethylene concentration. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 60, 83-91.
- Borda, A.M., Clark, D.G., Huber, D.J., Welt, B., Nell, T.A., 2011. The relationship between ethylene, volatile emission, fragrance, and vase life in cut roses. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 59, 245-252.
- Ergun, M., Karakurt, Y., Huber, D.J., 2011. Cell wall modification in 1-methylcyclopropene-treated post-climacteric fresh-cut and intact papaya fruit. Plant Growth Regul. 65, 485-494.
- Zhao, X., Guo, Y., Huber, D.J., Lee, J., 2011. Grafting effects on postharvest ripening and quality of 1-methylcyclopropene-treated muskmelon fruit. Scient. Hort., 130, 581-587.